An environmental history: William Cameron Park, Waco, Texas.
Access rightsWorldwide access
Lang, Kenna Renee.
MetadataShow full item record
Cameron Park is a 416-acre municipal park located at the confluence of the Brazos and Bosque Rivers near downtown Waco, Texas. The results of this project suggest first that the park’s ridge-top was completely cleared for grazing during the late 1800s and early 1900s and secondly that release of the pastures led to differential regeneration of forest cover, first in Juniperus species and then with deciduous species. This release event took place eighty to ninety years ago, coinciding almost exactly with the dedication of Cameron Park in May 1910. Additionally, regeneration of deciduous species was concentrated initially along historic fence-lines so that delayed succession has been occurring as broadleaf species just now begin to move into the interior of former pastures. The result is that regeneration of Juniperus and broadleaf species has led to a significant increase in forest cover along the ridge-top since the abandonment of the pastures.